Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Glenda m

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
When I first started peddling or treadling I had fits. I couldn't get the rhythm right. The machine ( Singer 66-4) kept stalling then it would spin backwards and break the thread. I think I sat at Treadle #1 for a month off and on trying to get the hang of working with the machine, just getting more and more frustrated.
Then one evening I was trying to sew something and after the third stall and broken thread I put my foot on the treadle and started spinning the hand wheel by hand as I let my foot set there. Then when I started to treadle it wanted to stall and I kept spinning the hand wheel to prevent it.
All of a sudden, and I mean that literally, my entire system got the idea. My brain and foot finally connected and I was treadling. It took a couple more days of doing it to get it down pat.
Now I just sit down and do it. The hardest thing to remember is; am I using a machine that rotates towards or away from me?

Joe
Most of the old sewing books tell you to sit with both feet together. When I did that it seemed like it "loped." My grandmother taught me to sit with one foot toward the front of the pedal(away from you) and one foot on the edge(closest to you) That way you kind of alternated your feet and had a smooth rhythm. Still have slim ankles from all that treadeling. LOL
If the belt is tight enough you should have no problem with it coming off.
And, towards you to go forward and back for reverse. LOL