Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
quiltingnd

Default New to quilting-yellow brick road backing question.

Hello. I'm new to the boards and new to quilting. This summer I signed up for my first quilting class with a friend and made my first quilt. I actually just finished it yesterday. You can't imagine how happy I am to actually have completed one all by myself. For quilting, I just quilted it around the edges of the squares. (no fancy quilting machine)

I'm working on my second quilt. Yellow brick road. I have all the squares cut out and all sewn together. (making the lap size) I have the directions and they have seemed pretty easy up until now. I bought some wide fabric for the backing of the quilt and was hoping to have enough left over for the border. But now I can't figure out how to prepare the fabric so I can figure that out. I don't see anywhere in the directions what size the backing fabric has to be or how to make it ready? I know the pattern says I need 3 1/2 yards for the backing but that's it. And since I'm new to quilting, I'm not sure what my next step is.

I'd like to cut/prepare the backing so that I can see if I need to buy fabric for border or if I have enough of the backing fabric to use as the border fabric, but just have no idea what to do.

Here is where I'm at on this quilt now.

Can anyone help me? Or point me in the right direction.