Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

The second block I finished yesterday was H1.

Once again, I decided against paper piecing. sure - the exact block piece measurements are not 'nice' - you can still make your adjustments easily by taking a couple of threads over a 1/4" seam.

I started the center 4-square section by cutting a strip each of background and print - 1 3/8" x 2 3/4" - sewed long sides together, cut in half, made 4-square. The center 4-square finishes just shy of 1 5/8" square. It's only a thread off. Cut two pieces 2 1/8" x 1 3/8" for opposite sides of 4-square and give it a good 1/4" seam. When you press it, you will see the thread takes in just slightly more. Cut & sew the two remaining sides in the same manner - as I wrote in drawing 'just under 3 3/4" ' ..this is the cut measurement. For those 8 setting triangles, I cut four 1 3/4" squares once diagonally, sew one on either side of those corner pieces. To cut the corner pieces - I actually used the corners of a 10" 'cake square' civ war fabric I noticed that the "height" of the piece with seams from the corner point to 1/4" below the straight seam line are both slightly shy of 2 1/4" .... you can get this by measuring 3 1/4" from the corners if you want. I just made sure my sides were even and came down 2 1/4" from the point and cut down 1 1/8" from the center line created. [sorry - I'm so mathematical - I dont want to confuse... hopefully the pictures will help] Note that the lines on the edge of the corners match up real well with the seams around the 4patch center. Also, I took a little more seam off the funky corner than the setting triangle.

Hope it all helps - dont let it confuse!
Gus
Attached Thumbnails dj-h1a.jpg   dj-h1b.jpg   dj-h1c.jpg   dj-h1d.jpg   dj-h1e.jpg  

dj-h1f.jpg