View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 AM
Louise Houghtaling

I learned to sew by my Mom...no choice..."It's a life skill!" That was on a Singer treadle...straight stitch.
I get frustrated when my machine doesn't do what I want in the moment, but the only real frustration I ever had with a machine was my first serger. I never was able to master it, so eventually was able to trade up to a Babylock that has air threading...just made for folks like me!
When I got married, I thought I was through with sewing. When my daughter was born, the creative side of me screamed that she Needed better clothing than what I saw in the stores and a monster was born. That was 42 years ago, and I've never looked back.
I sew in the basement most of the time on a machine that's on a table. I also have machines on our main floor and do all the embroidery there. In the loft, I have my Mom's old Viking 6430 in a cabinet. I go there when I want to sew the heavy duty stuff. Hmmm, looks like I've taken over the house!
I began quilting by doing turn and tie...really, no I idea that I was quilting!
Then I did some self taught piecing and machine quilting.
Then I took a class and learned about accuracy and 1/4 inch seams and have been enamored ever since. My secret is that no one in my entire huge family quilts, so they all think my stuff is fabulous! I love to take classes, mostly for the cameraderie (sp?) and to see what others pick for colors,etc. I love that I see mostly women from all stages and walks of life, coming together to create with love.