View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
romanojg

Originally Posted by beginner di View Post
I recently purchased a Viking Ruby sewing machine and have little experience in embroidery and quilting. I would like to purchase a kit offering several colors of embroidery thread. I am looking for suggestions as to what type of thread to look for. What is most economical - not to eliminate quality? It can be mind boggling searching because I am not familiar with this product. All suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
beginner di
I just traded my Ruby in on a Diamond Deluxe. The Ruby is a great machine and very easy to use. I would suggest in the beginning to buy a few different types of thread to see what you like. The Ruby, she likes them all. I use RA rayon alot and have recently learned that you can go online to Sears and get it for 3.99 a spool which is almost 1/2 price. I also like Floriani, Sulky, Jenny Haskins and Prencia rayons for embroidery. They have a nice shine to them. I don't buy kits, what I do is when I'm buying colors and don't have a project in mind but just want to either stock up or its on sale, I chose a at least two shades of a color. The reason is that almost every design that I've ever stitched used to similar shades to do the shading in the design. This has saved me so many times.
When you download designs try for VP3 first, then VIP and then HUS, even though Ruby will see almost all of them.

Make sure each month you go to myembroidery.com for Viking and get the free design and project for the month. YOu still have time for Oct to get them. I hope you get to take the classes because you can learn so much from it. My favorite thing is the cutwork needles.Good luck and congratulations on your Ruby. You'll love her.