Thread: Walking foot?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
I , also, am thinking about a walking foot. I want something that I can use for sewing the layers together and also for free motion sewing. Does a walking foot do both? If not, what kind of foot should I get? My machine is a Viking 6030 (ancient like me) but sews like a dream. When I look for this model, I am unable to find the machine number--even on the Viking website. Suggestions would be most helpful.
I couldn't find the # of your machine either and Vikings search button isn't working. Do you have a store around you that you could call. Most machines go by a 1 diget # when you are looking at parts. Like I have two machines and one is a 1 and the other is in group 7. On the outside of the package it'll show a numbers each one in a circle and if your # is there it fits. You might have to get one special ordered but the only way to find out is to either email Viking, at the bottom of Vikings website there are email links for hardware and software. I do recommend not getting a generic for any machine; most find out they end up replacing them constantly and end up spending more but a walking foot is great. No it's not for free motion quilting in general. Unless you can use the new interchangeable walking foot that Viking came out with most walking feet are made to go straight and not in different directions. If you want to see what the different feet look like go to Vikings website and click on accessories and then you can look at their book and it shows all of the accessories and you'll see the difference of a walking foot and a FMQ foot. The walking foot does make a difference when quilting or even sewing any seams especially long ones like hemming, etc.