View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 AM
NJ Quilter

Here in central NJ things are relatively good. Many downed trees and power lines. We lost power at 6:30PM Mon. and are still out. Best guestimate for restoration currently is Mon. 11/5. We had a tree go into the wires in front of our house and it pulled the wires from the insulators on the pole so I imagine we'll be out longer that most as our street is not overly populated. Many of the downed trees are into houses and cars. Our damage very minimal - a small piece of flashing on the side of the house, a large trellis/vine, and a couple of tree limbs. We have a generator and gas heat/hot water/cooking. So, while things are not 'normal' we do have heat, hot shower, can cook and haven't lost any food yet. Others here, and certainly more so in other parts of the state, are in far worse shape. Our coastline has been destroyed not only by erosion, but virtually every structure; home; lots of infrastructure are no more. Being without power for a few days is nothing by comparison.

And, sorry for the personal rant, but when you are told by the powers that be to evacuate - DO IT! When you don't, you're putting my DH's life on the line. And many other first responders. Please don't make me a widow unnecessarily. Your stuff is STUFF! I'd be sad to lose things as well. I get it when something freakish happens that could not be foreseen. In this case - not so for many, many people. OK - rant over.

Thanks, everyone, for thinking and praying for those affected.