Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Friday1961

Default Recently found my original machine, a Singer 99K!

I recently found my original machine (which I bought used many years ago) stored in a garage on property we own. I believed I'd given it to a family member years ago when my husband bought me a Singer Touch 'n Sew and had no idea it was stored there. Well! Turns out my first Singer is a 99K, circa 1954 (according to Singer dating sites online) made in Scotland! ("Made in Great Britain" is printed in gold on the base.) I knew nothing about these machines until I begin quilting--and therefore reading these boards--and never knew, all those years I sewed on it, that I had a 3/4 or 1/2 size machine. I feel terrible that this little jewel was neglected for so long and not stored well. It's not in great shape--there's some rust-- but I hope to bring it back. Everything appears to be intact except the belt and the thread holders. Even the wiring looks pretty good, though we'll have to check that out, of course. The cabinet is not in good shape so I may try to find another one. May I ask those of you who work on and are familiar with these vintage Singers for the best resources for buying replacement parts? And any other advice you are willing to share?

I can't really express how delighted I am to have my old friend back and to discover, after all this time, what I had, and how these particular Singers are regarded. It was just the machine I bought when I was 19, learned to sew on, and made all my clothes on, as well as lots of baby shirts and blankets, and household items. Even if it never sews again -- though I think it will -- I'm glad it's back in my house and my possession!

Marilyn