View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 AM
pdriggs

Default My quilt-as-you-go quilt is finished

My first major quilt is a quilt-as-you-go. I stopped work on it twice to make some quilt tops which I had long armed. I finally got it done, but know that I will never make another large one like this. I did not really have a pattern and had made a few tactical errors early in the process. This made it hard for me to get a 'perfect' final result. I could not keep the sashing straight as the rows were put together. It was fun to do and I am proud of it though. Three foot rule makes it look great.

I want to get a quilt rack made so I can display it, because it is just not a comfortable quilt to sleep under. It was too cold with just the quilt, it slid off the bed when I put one of the velour blankets under it, and with another quilt under it it was just too heavy, and still a bit cold by morning. My husband was patient, and we tried for three nights to get it right. We are back to our down comforter, and both had a good nights sleep last night. Sleep habits are so individual I wonder if this is why so many quilts are not really used the way we intend them to be when we make them for people.

I really enjoy making quilted things, so I am going to stay with lap quilts, and art quilts. I think that is where my enjoyment will be.

Phyllis