Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 AM
Pds

Default Quilting Books and the Size of the Quilts in Them

First I want to say, I love this "Board"---you all have given me such valuable information!!!! I can't tell you how much my quilting has improved from some of your comments and "threads".

Now I don't have a question really, but more of a comment. I am like a lot of you, in that I buy quilting books from well known quilters and I am getting a bid "miffed". Why are the patterns in these books for small quilts? I am looking for a scrap quilt pattern and since I have all these books, why not put them to use. I found one I really liked in one of my many books, by a well known artist---it is 30 x 30 with NO directions in how to enlarge it!!!!! Now really, other than for a baby or wall, why would you make a 30 x 30 quilt? Now I have been quilting for a long time and I know you can just make more blocks, or even add a border or two, but if I paid $30 retail for this book, why do I have to figure out how to do that? I understand that if you are traveling and lecturing it is so much easier to take a smaller quilt, but not everyone makes lap quilts, some of us make large bed quilts. I just purchased another book by an author, who also produces patterns. All of her patterns have multiple sizes, but her book-----only lap sizes and no information on how to enlarge them, or on the amounts of additional fabric you would need. Why is that?

I just have issues with that and I think it is inconsiderate to those of us who quilt for use. Even when I make a lap in the size in the book, it doesn't really cover well, unless you happen to be one of my grandbabies, or you use it to put over your knees as you sit in a chair. For me then, it is a waste of my time and money for the fabric because the quilt will just sit folded up and not be used.

Anyway, this is how I feel. I know some people only make small or wall quilts, and I think that is okay---I myself, am more likely to make large bed size quilts and it would be nice if at the very least, a conversion chart was included. If any of you are writing a book, please consider this.

Thanks for letting me step on my "soap box" for a minute. Have a wonderful day!