View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 AM
EllieP

Default Made some progress

Thanks for the reply. I took the throat plate off and examined the bobbin area and found no thread jams. I took stop motion knob off again and positioned the flanged eges of the washer facing to the right of the machine (not sure if this is what you meant). I am able to turn wheel with my hand now (although it is nowhere near as smooth with my other featherweight), and I am now thinking the problem is with the belt and/or the position of the motor. I've ordered a new belt so I will wait until it arrives before fiddling any further.

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Hi Ellie,

A couple of things worth looking at.

Ok,.. the stop motion "washer", under that big knob, should have the flared part, the inside "teeth" sticking toward the wheel side.

In theory, I guess the washer being out of place could cause problems with turning the wheel, but I suspect that the problem lies under the bobbin case.

When I got my latest FW, it had a similar problem. The needle would move a little, the hand wheel would turn about an inch either way, but that was it. I had what was close to 10ft of thread caught behind the bobbin case. I could see some of it without dis-assembly, but when I got it apart it was staggering!

This is a write up done by someone else that should show you how to clear it. The threads can be difficult to see, so look very carefully. It's also a great opportunity to dust in there.
http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php

Good luck! Let us know if it works, or you have further questions.