Old 11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
aab007

Default New to Quilting Board from South Central Wisconsin

I've been quilting since I was old enough to hold a needle. My mother was an accomplished quilter, and I learned to quilt from her. She set up her quilts on a frame in the dining room (with the table pushed up against the wall) and each of us girls (3 daughters) had our own needle and would take a few stitches as our schedules allowed. I haven't done much for the past 30 years because of the demands of raising a family, a full-time job, and limited space. I have recently retired and moved to a larger house (a long story there) and am now devoting more of my time to things I love to do, including quilting. Over the years I have made a few quilts, a lot of lap-throw sized projects, and now have 7 full-sized quilt tops that I haven't in the past been able to face wrestling through my sewing machine. While I have done a few stitch-in-the ditch projects this way, I find anything more elaborate intimidating and exhausting. I have tried out a few free-motion machines with frames and recently tried the new Baby Lock sit-down system at Nancy's Notions in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. I really want to be able to quilt my own tops. I just don't feel like it is my creation if I pay someone else to do the quilting. I love putting the fabrics together, the feel of the fabric, the way the colors play off of each other. Now, I would love the feel of completing the project by doing the actual quilting, as well. Does anyone have any advice on a system that won't break the bank? I don't have the funds or the space for a Gammill. I'd like something that costs under $5000 and would fit in a standard bedroom-sized room.