View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Jeanette Frantz

I learned to sew in Home Economics, 7th Grade. My teacher was Ms. Helen Beth Coon, and she was a treasurer. I had Home Ec with her for three years! The machines were straight-stitch. The very first project we did was a pair of pillow cases, then we made an apron, and mercy, I can't remember what else. We finally graduate to garments, the first being a sleeveless blouse with a collar and a gathered skirt to match. I did sew at home, but I married fairly young at 18, and the first Christmas my husband bought me a Singer 328K,which I still have and which I still use a lot.

I've lot track of the number of curtains, drapes, etc. I've made over the years, made some for my sister a few years ago which she still hasn't hung!LOL. I got into quilting slightly about 12 years ago. My first quilt was a Sunbonnet Sue applique baby quilt. The first thing I did with that one was increase the size of the blocks, and then doubled the blocks so that I had a crib-size quilt, instead of a 28" X 36 (lap pad). My next venture into quilting was a whole-cloth embroidered quilt I made by drawing my own design (Arkansas Razorback), outlined the state map, satin-stick embroideredthis huge razorback centered in the map (a wedding gift for my nephew and his bride). I have not done all that many quilts, but I already have four projects on the "board" so to speak. I still work full-time and I still love to sew (or knit, or whatever). My time is limited, so I don't get as much done as I would like. I have had some health issues also which have slowed me down, but I keep on working (don't really know anything else). I have a Baby Lock serger, a Featherweight, a couple of Singer Touch'N Sew models that my son collected, and I have my mother's Singer 1425 (I've never used this one). I'm 67 so Ive no doubt got more years behind me than I have in front of me, but life is good.

Dealing with the tensions on the sewing machines is always a challenge, but I've had my machine apart for cleaning, oiling, etc. Every time I think I've got it mastered, well old Murphy throws in another glitch! I've just concluded that I'll never know everything about the machine, just as I'll never know everything about everything!LOL