View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Betty Ruth

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Who taught you to sew?
What frustrated you the most about your sewing machine?
What would make it easier to learn to sew?
What did you do to conquer the sewing machine?
What kept you going?
Where did you keep your sewing machine? Case or Cabinet?
When did you conquer the sewing machine?
How did you ever learn to quilt?
Did you use a straight stitch or zig zag sewing machine to learn to sew?
Were you a child or an adult when you learned to quilt?
My mother started me on her Singer treadle machine at age 7 or 8. She would let me sew the long seams of the garments she made for the family . I don't know if she took my stitches out when I wasn't looking or not. When she was not using the machone to make garments or for patching, I was free to make doll clothes out of the scraps. As my skills grew, sometimes I'd make my own dresses, but mostly*we worked together. She'd make the basic garment on the machine, and I'd do all the handwork. I had never used a machine with a zigzag stitch until I bought my own.
Currently , I sit my portable sewing machines on took of a desk. I like the large drawers.
As a teenager,I attended community quilting clubs with my mother but never made any quilts until long after I was married. I'm sure Mom and I talked quilts, as she always had one in progress until her eyesight failed her.

I sewed my thumb with that old treadle machine many times. I finally learned not to jerk my*hand away, leaving a large incision but to slowly back he needle out. This left only a small hole where the needle went through, which healed quickly. Guess that's how you would say how I conquered the sewing machine.