View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Just Me...

My grandma taught me to sew at a VERY young age. At around age 4 (seriously), my cousin and I would have to tie quilts after they were pieced. Everything she made was very utilitarian. I convinced her the following summer that my cousin was the better one to tie and she should teach me to piece, so we could get more done. I learned on a treadle. I remember when my Aunt bought her an 'lectric (Appalachian accent) sewing machine. She was absolutely thrilled! For Christmas one year, my Mom went to Rink's and bought her already cut fabric squares. It was the first time she got to play with design and wasn't using cut up clothes/curtains/etc. to make a quilt. I will never forget those quilts....I still have the one she made me. I used to beat myself up about using a longarm, but then it occurred to me that were she still alive......she would have kept me busy quilting all of the quilts she pieced! I only wish she had lived long enough to see my shop and how far quilting has come. When the "Aunts" all came out to see my shop, one of them remarked....."you can definitely feel Mom's presence here". It was the greatest compliment she could have given me. I still think of her when I am piecing and quilting and wishing she were with me. She still is....in spirit!