View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 AM
GramMER

Originally Posted by susansomethings View Post
I have read & heard it said Log Cabin is an easy quilt to make. But I have also heard that some people have problems with it being crooked . I am wanting to make a Log Cabin...but I really want it to be stright and neat. What I am looking for is important tips that will help it come out really nice. Whats your best do's or dont's...I just thought it would be eaiser to ask then to search...all you ladies are so great in what you do..all info will be greatly appriciated.
When I first started quilting many years ago, one of my first quilts was a Log Cabin. Actually I got carried away cutting the strips and had way more than necessary to make one, but it is probably a good thing. That was during the days before roller cutters and hard plastic rulers. I used a wooden yardstick, a pencil and a pair of scissors to make my strips. You probably could finish telling the story from here, but my pencil became dull over the course of a few cuttings and then the pencil lines I used to cut my strips grew wider and my strips grew more and more uneven and... I eventually got enough good, standard sized blocks to make a queen sized quilt, but I had to cull out so many other strips because they were of ever growing widhts. Cutting on a pencil line is not an exact science anyway and a pencil line that grew wider as the pencil become duller was a nightmare! As most of you know, yardsticks can warp and become curved too. I had gone to a lot of trouble to find a good straight one, but my kids probably played with it and so it was useless too.

I say all that to say that one finished block has to be the same size as every other finished block for a Log Cabin to look nice. I finally made mine match all the seams and finished it and even hand quilted it, but it was a nightmare to make all the corrections.