View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 AM
Auj

I love reading all the posts to this thread. Here's my response.
Who taught you? My mother sewed and just like Justflyingin, I got to sew the long, boring seams. I loved it. My mother made most of our clothes and with three little girls there was a lot to do. I remember one summer when I was about 9 or 10 impatiently waiting for her to finish a wrap around dress out of bright blue Hawaiian print for me. (I was too young to realize that taking care of the baby (that one was a brother) and the three of us girls, plus cooking and trying to work around the tiny budget kept her from just sitting down and doing it!) She showed me how to keep the fabric at the 5/8 inch mark and how to carefully step on the pedal and I was hooked. I couldn't wait to sew all the long seams and in a couple of years began making my own clothes by reading the pattern. When I was stumped, my mother would explain what the pattern meant and I was off again. I made clothes for myself and when I went to college I was gifted with a new Singer of my own. Case. My roommate and I both used it and it was with me for all four years. My mom's machine was a Singer, straight stitch, probably from the early 50s and she still uses it! Mine died and I bought a Husqvarna Huskystar 224 which I love. I researched it and everyone who had one said it was a workhorse so that's what I could afford and what I got.

What frustrated you about the machine? Nothing about the machine. When I do get stuck on something, I pull out the manual and figure it out.

What would make it easier to learn to sew? A class, a good teacher, a good basic video. Start with very simple projects, then work up. I think learning as a child would be easier. Few adults would be willing to just sew the long boring seams only.

What kept you going? I needed clothes and it was cheaper to make them than to buy them. I know, that was long ago, but it used to be true.

Where did you keep your machine? My Singer has a case, my Huskystar has a flimsy plastic cover. I have thought about buying a case, but I just keep it on the table and use it a lot, so haven't really worried about it.

How did you learn to quilt? I had a lot of old jeans that I couldn't bear to throw away, so I decided to cut out squares and sew them together. I didn't realize that I really didn't need batting, so my first quilt was denim squares, batting and fleece backing. I made a couple of these and a friend called me a 'quilter'. I objected and started to say, "I'm not a quilter, I just sewed these squares together and . . ." I realized that I WAS a quilter! I also agree with MaryLane that I believe if you can sew, you can piece. I have learned some wonderful tricks to make sure my points and seams match, but it was a no brainer to learn to quilt for me. I love learning new tricks and tips, but the sewing part is easy for me.

When did you learn to quilt? I learned/began to quilt as an adult.