View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:20 AM
paintmejudy

Default making 9-patch blocks

Now is the time to decide how to use your E and F fabrics. Look at the ½ square triangles you made from the directions posted on 10/13 and 10/21. Now, choose your color combinations from your E and F fabrics, or at this point you may decide you want to use something different for E and F.

I wanted to get the most contrast from my E and F colors. As you can see from the top picture, I laid the black and white on the ½ sq triangle blocks, and I liked the contrast of the white (now called E) with the A-B blocks, and the black (now called F) with the C-D blocks.

Cut all strips 2-½” wide, WOF. Use accurate ¼” seams to sew your strips together to make 6-½” wide strip sets as shown in the pictures and described in next paragraphs. Adjust needle position if needed, strip sets must be 6-½” wide. When pressing, press to the dark, turn over and make sure to press out any little “wrinkle” at the fold to make sure your strip set is 6-½” wide

Your blocks will measure 6-1/2" square when finished.

FIRST:
From A, cut 3 strips each 2-½” wide. Cut one of these strips in half, and set one of these ½ pieces aside.
From E, cut three 2-½” strips. Cut one of these strips in half.

Make strip sets as shown in photos.

Using the two half pieces of A and the half piece of F , put together A-E-A and sew to make a one half-sized strip set; cut into six 2-½” wide strips.

Sew together 2-½” strips of E-A-E and sew one make a strip set. Cut your strips sets into 2-½” wide segments. Cut 12 pieces 2-½” wide. Sew into six 9-patch blocks as shown in photo.

SECOND:
From C, the darker of the C and D fabrics, cut 3 WOF strips each 2-½” wide. Cut one of these strips in half, set one of the ½ pieces aside.

From F cut three WOF 2-½” strips. Cut one of these strips in half.

As shown in photo, put together the half strips of C-F-C and sew to make a strip set approx. 20-22“ long.
Put together WOF pieces F-C-F and sew to make a strip set .
Cut your strips sets into 2-½” wide segments. Sew into six 9-patch blocks as shown
Attached Thumbnails 4-choose-b-wh.jpg   4-strip-set-b.jpg   4-b-strip-sets-c-d-colors-copy.jpg   4-c-subcut-strip-sets.jpg   4-c-c.jpg  

4-d-9-patch.jpg   4-e-9-patch-cd-colors.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 11-03-2012 at 08:25 AM.