View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:02 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
WOW! I'm curious how you wound up with so many 2-1/2" squares. Do you cut them from scraps as you finish quilts?
I have a whole bag of scraps leftover from backing quilts (or should I say multiple bags). Also, I've been the wonderful recipient of a lot of scraps type of fabric. I cut them into strips and squares as per the Bonnie Hunter method (except I don't do bricks). Then, I try to make something with them. Since we have a charitable organization, it is a constant need. We give quilts to poor people and single moms or just working poor who need them.

Last year alone I did 80 quilts (all bed sized). This year it is fewer, but I've finished over 20 this fall--but have a lot of tops waiting to be finished. I'm not embarrassed by that as I made tops when I didn't have batting. We give out a lot of these quilts over Christmas time...so I need to finish them soon so I can focus on my own family.

But the bag of squares was large! It took literally several hours to sew them together the first time and I can sew with much concentration and I chain stitch and have a Janome 7700.