Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
leighway

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
Sheets work very well for backings. I know that there are some quilters who will disagree but I have often used them. They machine quilt easily, wash and wear well and come in a multitude of colours. I look for the cotton rich sheets in King size so that I have extra to make matching pillowcases. Quilting fabric is at least $15 a metre in Canada and it's hard to justify the extra cost when a sheet can be purchased for about $10 if bought on sale. I buy them at Len's Mills, Giant Tiger (small department store) or Sears and they all sometimes have seconds available (can't often tell why they are a second) and that's when I stock up. We use sheets all the time for the back of our Community Quilts stitched by our quilt guild.
When my children were little, I used sheets to back their quilts and while the tops have long ago worn in places, those backings are as good as they day they were added. It's something to consider. They also feel really good when I use one for a nap. I'd consider a sheet again if I didn't have so blasted much fabric in my stash!