Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
Miriam - just took a look at ebay and saw some in NC with three or four 241s at $50 each (pickup only, buy it now) from a factory closing. How big is the throat on you 241?
I would have to measure - it is pretty good sized - I would say that is about what you will pay in the rough. Fixed up and in a table you could pay quite a bit more. They are heavy. Those set in an oil bath - they will need cork gaskets. Mine had beads of dried up oil inside, the wicks were hard - the corks broke up - the tension had to have a new spring - mine needed a new bobbin case - I got one from Sew-classic not too expensive - bobbins are generic - I found high shank feet work fine - motor and table can run some money. If you buy them cheap - to fix up and sell be sure you can get enough out of one to make something for your time and effort... I'd like to get rid of mine - it's in my way - it needs a cork gasket and a sew test with the motor active. People all the time are asking for leather machines - this is for high speed not necessarily heavy stuff. I have wondered how it would do for FM - have to have the right foot and cover the feed dogs or set them at 0 I think. The one I have was used by a little old lady who made draperies - I think she might have retired 30 years ago or something... Someone tried to work on it - back then there was no internet to show us how to do stuff. The manual has a bit of info how to do some of it - the industrial manuals have a lot more repair info than the home maker manuals. LOL

One thing I have wondered - maybe I need to get with some of the leather workers. Since the bobbin case was so cheap - I wonder how it would work to set up one bobbin case to just do heavy thread and see how this machine does on leather. It is pretty powerful. I'd imagine it would sew through a finger. I don't imagine it is the thickness but a walking foot moves things through more evenly when you have heavy stuff.