Thread: mitered borders
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 AM
patricej
Administrator

it's true ... your quilt can look every bit as good without a mitred border. i know somebody ... (she lives in my house, eats, my food, then leaves her mess for me to clean up!) ... who almost never mitres. she usually tries but ends up most of the time with some fairly bizarre and unattractive results and switches back to an easier method.

here's my question, though. which would make you happier? to make a border that will surely be lovely, but not what you planned or wanted, OR to conquer your fear and mitre those stripes? will you be able to love your finished quilt without the mitres, or will the lack of them haunt you? (i only ask because my friend still kicks herself around about it just a bit more than the whole issue is worth. :lol: )

if you decide to go for it, keep in mind that the "trick" to mitring those stripes will be making sure they line up perfectly between the two strips you are going to mitre. the strips you start with must look exactly alike.

don't risk one of the "fold it back at the corners" methods. use a pieced method. i'll try to describe one way that works. (1) sew the first border strip to the top, starting and stopping 1/4" from the ends. (2) lay the next strip, face down, on top of the 1st. flip back the top to form the 45 degree angle and carefully adjust its position until the stripes are lined up exactly. press the fold, then - without moving the strips - lay it flat again and baste the two strips together along the fold using the smallest running stitch you can make. after basting, flip it back to make sure it's all still lined up. if it is, you can safely trim away the excess, leaving the traditional 1/4" seam allowance, then continue around the quilt, machine stitching the borders to the top, but hand stitching the mitre lines at the corners. once it's done, you can either machine stitch over the basted lines or press it all into place and topstitch the mitres to embellish and reinforce the corners.

there are other ways, too. i'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions today to choose from. pick the one that will make you happiest when you gaze upon your completed quilt. :P