View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Helen S

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
Cut the selvages off. They can shrink differently than the rest of the fabric - your piece will have plenty of stability if the backing is cut on the straight of grain. Are you planning on quilting it or tying it? Something else??
Yes, I know to cut the selvages off, and all the fabrics have already been washed & dried, but what I'm asking is that since the selvages go from side to side on the panel, would it be wise to turn the backing in the opposite direction to avoid stretching issues when hanging. I'm thinking that if I hang the finished quilt with both the front panel and backing fabric selvages going across the top and bottom, side to side, it's surely going to stretch out of shape, no matter how much quilting I do on it?

I've already done some Trapunto? on the deer, tree trunk on the left and on the grass the deer are standing in by adding two layers of batting and a piece of backing fabric behind them, then stitching around them and in any detail areas to define the shapes. It looks so awesome! Still thinking on what I'll do with the remaining background areas.