View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 AM
NJ Quilter

Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
Jan, I've heard that story too, but I'm not sure that's exactly what happened. This is what Snopes has to say about it:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/sandyunion.asp
AndiR - thanks for posting the snopes link. I had read the headline here in NJ earlier in the week and was appalled! I'm glad to see it was a misunderstanding and that the issue is resolved. I had read originally that the crews went on to NY to help there. I also, agree that all the utility companies here should be grateful for any and all help that is being sent this way. I know as an 'end user' I was eternally grateful to all those workers from far and wide to have my power back after 5 days. Frankly, I suspected it would be much longer than that before we had power back. We were very fortunate that we had a generator and we also have natural gas services so our inconvenience was truly minor. DH and I were out the other night. The utility companies are being staged in the parking lot of one of the malls near to us. Couldn't believe the number of transformers, portapotties and trucks there. I'm sure it's not nearly enough yet and there are other staging areas throughout the state and region as well. We just keep praying that everyone gets their much-needed power restored as quickly as possible. It's chilly here now. Keeping fingers crossed that the storm expected later this week doesn't do too much more damage.