View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sew_Silly View Post
Newbie here! Hi

Haven't introduced myself yet, but instead have been reading for a gazillion hours since finding the forum!
This is a burning question I have. IF I were to wash my fabrics before jumping into my first piecing project, would I combine ALL the darks like blacks, blues, greens, purples, ect in one load and ALL the bright colors in another or would I have to wash one color at a time?? Seems like washing a bright yellow with a red would look like a hot mess! I keep getting conflicting answers from books, google, ect. Nothing I've read has ever really said much more than "prewash darks and brights" without clarification. Then whats more, I watched a Fons & Porter episode about fabric selection and it was mentioned that the way a fabric is made (dyed, printed, quality, etc.) is a factor in how much if at all they bleed. Ugh! So confusing.

Thanks
With new fabrics, I act 'as if' each and every one will be a bleeder.

Therefore, I will only (usually - I have occasionally goofed up) put similar fabric together to soak in hot water (or the washing machine)

Dark reds with dark red, dark greens with dark greens, etc.

I might put very dark greens, dark blues, and black together - because if there is some loose dye, it may not appreciably affect/afflict the other pieces of fabric.

I go by the color of the water - if it is some color other than clear, I try to isolate the color contributor and rinse that one piece until the water is clear.

I do this because I have had some bleeds - and I didn't find it entertaining at all to try to deal with them.