View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM
meanmom

I make my gluten free pie crusts from Bobs Red mill gluten free flour. Mix 1 1/3 cups flour with 1/3 tsp salt. I stir with a fork. In a measuring cup mix 1/3 cup oil and 3 tbsp ice water, stir together really good. With fork quickly stir into flour mixture just until combined. Roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Peel off the top layer of paper and put into pie pan. Bake as usual.
I have used several different brands of gluten free flour mixes. WHen coking gluten free you need to use a mixture of several different kinds of flour as none of them have all of the properties of wheat flour. Several of the mixtures available in the store will work but the Bobs red mill brand is my favorite. Gluten free flour will never perform quite the same as wheat flour but you can get close. Gluten free flour will produce a more crumbly product. The pie crust will probably crack as you put it in the pan but just put it back together with your fingers. There are many hints on the internet for how to cook gluten free. My sister in law and nephew have celiac so I try to cook gluten free when they will be there.