View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
I'm self taught thanks to books, blogs and anything else quilt related. Just finished a class at a local fabric shop, and came away very confused! According to the teacher: don't pre wash, don't pull bobbin threads up, never roll excess when quilting, (just smooch and scrunch), bias is the only acceptable binding, don't need a walking foot, basting is the only way to go, and my Singer HD110 is barely a beginners machine, not really designed for quilting - and don't use the acrylic table it came with. Needless to say, since I was doing all of the above, with great success, I'm confused. I've had great luck with my machine, and love the table! Any thoughts??
I've taken classes from several national quilters. Some pre wash some don't.

Why would you not pull the bobbin thread up???? If you pull it up you don't get thread snot. Roll or scrunch, whatever works. I've never done bias binding. It's really only necessary for curves. No matter how well basted something is if you're doing straight line quilting you need a walking foot.

A sewing machine is a sewing machine. It actually can't tell what you're doing. If the machine will do what you want it to then it's fine. Extension tables are really helpful for lots of things.

The best thing to do with people like that is smile and agree and then go on and do what you want. There really and truly isn't just one way or one right way to do anything in quilting.

Basically "nod and wave boys, nod and wave." Extra points if you know what movie that comes from!