Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Steve
Quite honestly I didn't even know cameras were allowed to begin with. So rule of thumb: take the camera, but be polite about it if you're going to take a picture; got it!
You will want to watch out for signs that say No Photos Allowed! Usually those will be in the Vendor section but you will also find these signs attached to certain quilts in the show. Often the reason is that the maker of the quilt has not yet copyrighted his/her pattern or marketed it and they don't want others taking a picture and going home and copying the pattern.

I once took a photo at a quilt show, my first. This lady comes charging out of this booth and literally tried to snatch my camara out of my hands. She demanded that I take out my film (before digital) and destroy it. She was very angry when I refused. In all actuality, she scared the spit right out of me! The funny thing is, I never did get that roll of film processed. I know over the past 16 years I have never seen her quilt or pattern anywhere. :P It sure taught me a lesson about making sure to always get permission before taking photos at a quilt show!

My #1 suggestion would be to walk through the entire vendor area BEFORE buying anything. Trust me, the vendor area is like the gingerbread house in Hansel and Gretel. If you don't do a walk-through first, you may find your credit cards and empty wallet crying all the way home. This way, you weed out the things that you can buy at your local quilt shop and focus on those yummy and unusual things just coming out.

lisae - I can't imagine going to a quilt show and not taking pictures! :( I am one of those polite people. I don't block the way and I wait politely for others to view the quilt and move before snapping pictures. I have no problem including strange people into my photos. I have tons and tons and tons of quilt pictures. Whenever I'm feeling down or need some inspiration I start looking through them. I'm always amazed anew at the creativity and talent of people. I have never copied any of the photos and turned them into quilts, though I do have one I will be doing that to. I have permission from the maker of the quilt to copy it so I'm not stealing her pattern or anything like that.

Our local guild offers a CD of the quilts entered into their show, but I don't think it is something that is offered to the public. I am blessed enough to get to work security at the show, which means I spend the night with the quilts and make sure nothing happens. I use this time, when no one else but me and a handful of my girlfriends are around, to take pictures. It takes me about 4 hours to take pictures of every single thing. The pictures taken during those nights are what is later put onto CD and offered at the guild meeting after the quilt show. If we were to make one beforehand, we would have to find a way to display each quilt, take pictures...UGH, the process would be enormous and I can see why smaller shows may not do this. Though it might be worth it and something I will bring up to my guild once we're closer to our show date next year. Hm, something to think about.

I love quilt shows!!
~Tiffany