Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 AM
lisae

RE: pictures at quilt shows. I guess the thing that bugs me is that lately I feel like I am spending more time keeping out of the way of people taking pictures than looking at quilts. I think it is more of a problem at large, crowded shows than at smaller, local shows.

I bought my first camera, a small digital camera, in 2005 or 2006, when prices for digital cameras were beginning to get somewhat reasonable. As I did not have a camera for many years, I developed the habit of making sketches (from memory) of any quilt or quilt pattern I wanted to remember. I like doing this because it gives me a chance to study the pattern, see how to make it and really see what I like about it. This does require me to look at some quilts several times.

A lot of the patterns you see at quilt shows are traditional patterns and certainly the ones I am drawn to are, so I've never worried about copyright violations. I am interested in the makers interpretation, but if I make a version of the quilt, it will be different.

Tiffany, I've worked security at our local quilt show also. It is fun to spend the night with the quilts and have uninterrupted time to view the show! If you wanted to make a CD of the show, set up might be a good time. All quilts go to the photography station (stand with appropriate lighting) before being hung. If it is a juried show, pictures are required with the application. All you have to do is require the pictures be in a digital format.
Easy peasy to make a CD.