Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
MTS
Banned

Both Dunster and I use EQ.

I'm going to say there is generally a little learning curve - based on the user's experience with graphic design software, or computers in general - but EQ has EXCELLENT videos and follow-along step-by-step written instructions (both online and in their books) to help you along.

I was at Houston last week, and everytime I wanted to rest my feet I plopped down in chair at the demo space in the EQ booth.
I didn't have any particular questions, but just listened along as others asked theirs.

Some were very basic, but sometimes when answering those, the EQ person would throw in a little tidbit about a feature or function that I didn't know about.
Or, that I had become so comfortable with in prior versions, I hadn't bother to seek out if had changed or improved.

It was great fun, and very informative.

But the basic block drawing and quilt layout - you should be up and running in no time at all.

I use it for all aspects of quiltmaking - check color/fabric combos and sizes and layouts and measurements, etc.
Design blocks, print templates and foundations. Estimate yardage requirements.

EQ has very lively forum on its site, and I think there is one on this board as well.

The sale price, when available, is around $140.

I think it's worth every penny.

There is an EQ lite, Design Wizard, with very basic features, for around $30.

Sometimes there are earlier versions of EQ available (the current, released last year, is EQ7).
Stay away from EQ6 - installation issues.
If you find a cheap enough version of EQ5, for under $50, you could go that route to get a sense.
You won't be able to get an upgrade if you wanted to go to EQ7 (you'd need to buy the regular version), but if you didn't want to upgrade, you saved yourself some moola.

I can't make that decision for you, but I'd suggest putting it on your list.

All I can say is I love it.