Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
Our area charges for bags also. It's annoying because the plastic bags are so thin that they tear apart if you put very much in them.

I do like the Trader Joe bags best, they are a plastic coated something or other, nice and big. They hold much more then what a plastic bag holds. Simplicity has some good grocery totes also. I picked up the patterns when Joanns has them for 99 cents. I use the vegetable bags to bag all my meat also. Nothing goes into the totes without a bag of some type. Then I use the veggie bags for scooping the cat's litter and for big food scraps, bones etc that I don't put down the disposal when I preparing meals.

I've seen patterns for veggie bags out of wide tulle, with a drawstring top-I've never actually seen wide tulle but I'm sure it's around someplace.

It does become second nature to carry bags in the car and into every store when you shop. I visited my parents over the summer and had my reusuable bags with me, Mom was saying , "We don't do that here. Just be normal and get the bags like everyone else."

Generally speaking, people here enjoy seeing my bags. Except for one checker who looked inside and out of every single bag I had looking for the price tag. @@ She continued looking even after I told her I'd made every one of them. "It's my job!"