Thread: Bernina advice?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I have the 640 with the emb module. I didn't buy the BSR because I couldn't see paying $800 for it when I do just fine without it.

Bernina's are great machines tho!!
Our Berninas in Ireland come from Bernina UK, and the 430/440, 630, and 730 all come with the BSR, there isn't an option to have them without the BSR. The optional extra is the embroidery module, so I was surprised to see your post. When I bought my 730 (with the emb. module) I kept my old 1260, as the dealer wasn't inclined to offer me anthing for trade in. Now I am really pleased I kept it, as I use it still for lots of stitching when I want to do something quickly and don't want to wait for the 730 to boot up. Also, I can still sew on it while keeping an eye on the 730 when it's embroidering. As for that, I didn't even attempt to do any embroidery for two years. I felt that I had more than enough for my needs, just getting to know what it had built in. Plus I found the manuals to be incomprehensible - could have been in a foreign language as far as I was concerned. Then I managed to get on a one day workshop on how to use the emb. module. What a revelation. It was enough for me to get going, and I haven't looked back. Mind you, I still only stitch out designs that I have bought, though I am happy to reverse directions, or resize. I still don't think the software provided is good enough for me to do something completely from scratch, but I'm not too bothered about that. Someday I might upgrade.