View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
NJ Quilter

I don't belong to a guild so their rules will apply but I agree that if you're selecting your own fabs you'll be keeping the blocks. Just wanted to say that my LQS does a sampler BOM each year. You select your colorway (usually from 4 different available). Pay for the first month - usually $5 or $10. Each month you bring in your completed block, that month's (next) is free. In theory you get 12 blocks for your initial $5 or $10 investment. Finishing kits in varying sizes (lap to king) are on you. Although I've been quilting for about 10-15 years now, I still do this each year as a skill building exercise. And even though I'm generally not a fan of sampler quilts, it gives me something to use as a gift if I don't like it for myself. I find that even if the blocks are those that I've done before, the directions/methods have a tendency to be different so it's still building skills - even just cutting/sewing. Sometimes, like this month's block, it amazes me how horrible my blocks will turn out for this event. But when I'm doing an otherwise 'normal' quilt, cutting/sewing seems to go much better. Do as many as you can. It's worth the investment.