View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by singing spider View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]375477[/ATTACH]
Hello- I live in Australia and my husband recently bought me a clone in a local op-shop for $25 and I stumbled on this thread whilst trying to find out about the machine. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these machines. It is a Brother made in Ireland imported into Australia with Australian made bakelite pedal and plug. It looks like it was barely used and sat on top of grans cupboard for 50 years.. sadly there was no box of accessories but the original tape measure was there with the piece of card board still sitting on it! It has a straight stich foot and a darning hoop. It needs a clean and oil and the op-shop cut off the cords as they don't sell working electrical goods...my hubby will rewire it for me so I can try it out..after a good clean and oil of course! I read somewhere that the last digit on the number on the bottom shows the year of manufacture which is a 1 so given the Dublin factory opended in '58 I figure it was '61? The case is in really good condition and there is an extending table too. I have turned the wheel and it is so smooth... Oh and the cover is a red crocodile skin pattern. Any thoughts or advice?
I'm drooling all over my keyboard!!! That one looks good. I've seen a couple in really good condition like that but the tension was not put together right or the needle shaft turned a little - I'd say my best advice is use it and enjoy it - you won't be able to out live it unless you are really trying...