View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM
lakekids

Angry Singer 301 frustration

Aaaaggghhh! I spent an hour and a half tonight trying to get the tension correct on my Singer 301. I have only had the machine a couple of months. Once I got it, I cleaned, and oiled the machine. At that time I partially disassembled the tension mechanism because the tension seemed to be much too tight - even with the tension dialed all the way down to zero. However, last week I pieced a border for one of my quilts on itl using a cotton 50 weight thread.

Tonight I put on a rayon 40 weight thread (top and bobbin). I adjusted the top and bottom tension using a quilting cotton test cloth. I then proceeded to sew on my project. I am attempting to put a zipper in a lightweight corduroy pillow cover.

In order to do this I need to use regular stitch length and basting stitch length. In addition I would use the reverse. It seemed that every time I changed the stitch length the tension would go wonky. Sometimes I would have loops on the back. Then loops on the front. Next (after more adjustments) the bobbin thread would lay flat. Even when the stitch 'looked' ok, if I tugged on the bobbin thread it would pull out of the cloth.

I am so disappointed. I really wanted to use this machine for this project. Anyone have any suggestions?

Early on in this process, I also had trouble winding the bobbin. I finally had to place the spool of thread on an standalone thread stand - to prevent the thread from wrapping around the spool pin. (The spool is cross wound).

I may take it to a sewing machine repair person tomorrow. Of course that means I will be without it for a week or two.