View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Puzzled about scissors...

So I've always had a wonderful pair of Gingher scissors (8" sewing shears, sharp point), but somehow in re-doing my cutting area I've lost 'em. Don't know how something big and shiny like a pair of scissors can go missing, but, well, they did.

And I miss them. They were like an extension of my own arm.

So I went to JoAnns and bought a new pair of what I thought would be identical scissors. And. They're not. They are subtly different, and it's disturbing. The metal blades are slightly - very slightly - thicker, and they weigh just a fraction of an ounce more and somehow the difference is very noticeable to me. Plus the action is stiff, sticky, and requires more effort to use. And yes, I did "try out" several pairs in the store, looking for the ones that are easiest to operate. I've put some sewing machine oil on the screw area, but I can't loosen the screw to make them easier to use. And the oil didn't really make any difference.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in scissors, when buying a replacement for an old favorite pair?

Or is there just a better brand than Gingher these days? What's your favorite pair, and where & when did you buy them?