View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 AM
thepolyparrot

Originally Posted by tymia View Post
Do you have a picture? When you say trim one long side, I am lost, how much? etc.
Pair two fat quarters that look nice together - the closer they are to 22" long, the better. Press them right sides together with lots of starch to pre-shrink and stiffen them.

Trim the pair along one long side to give you an even edge.

Make one cut 6½" wide and one cut 7½" wide.

Peel the layers apart and take the 6½" strip from one and pair it with the other fabric that's 7½" wide. (and vice-versa) Align one edge and steam them together to keep the layers from shifting.

Sew the long sides.

Turn the resulting tubes right side out. Press them so that the seam allowance goes toward the contrasting edges.

Press the tubes flat with equal amounts of the contrasting edges showing on both long edges of the tube.

If you have FQ's that are 22" long, cut each tube into four 5½" sections. If you have less than 22", make the sections a little narrower - 5¼" or 5-1/8"

With the outside of the sections face up, press the right and left sides in toward the center. Sew across the short ends, then serge to finish the edges if you want to. Turn right side out and press again.

Hope these directions make more sense - I guess I was too distracted when I wrote the first time. I will try to take some pictures, next time.