Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM
wvdek

When one chooses to join one of these swaps, one takes the risk of getting blocks, squares, dolls, etc, that may not be as appealing to them as others. This is no different than the fabrics we buy, clothes we wear, etc.

I for one am grateful and love all the blocks because I know my fellow quilters took time in choosing fabric, pattern, sewing, spending their hard earned money on postage, and wondering who would get their block and hoping and sometimes praying, it was worthy of all of the others on the board.

With that said, once one receives their envelope of blocks back, it is their's to do with as they wish. Choose your favorite blocks, add some of your own, add some sashing, borders, quilting, backing, whatever your heart desired to show off the work of a new found friend(s) and you have a treasure forever in a lap quilt or wall hanging. The ones you are not so fond of, maybe you could make a quilt for someone who can't sew much less quilt, envies how one makes quilts, doesn't own one and would love to sit and admire the stitching and patterns as they are wrapped in warmth and love of the one(s) who made it.

Half the fun of putting these projects together is thinking of the folks who helped make the blocks and then the design and purpose of the project, the placement, additions of sashing, borders, fill in blocks, etc. I have all my B & Y blocks sitting in my to-do drawer because I want to put them togther next spring. Every once in awhile I take them out and "fondle" them as it were and say a prayer for my fellow quilters and a prayer of thanks for their love of quilting and dream of the day next spring when I can begin work on the new project.

Sew my fellow quilters, I hope I am gracious enough and thankful enough to put your blocks to good use and that I may do them justice as humbly as I can. Bless you for being sew giving and loving in your endevours and I am looking forward to receiving blocks from the other three swaps I am in and all that goes with it.

(as I step off my soap box giving Colletta and all other organizers big hugs for all they do in giving us a little bit of happiness in our daily lives)

Thank you and bless you. Dorothy