View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
quiltingnd

Default Baby blanket for granddaughter

I saw a video on Youtube and really loved the pattern but didn't have a jelly roll. So I took some scraps from the class sampler quilt and started cutting them into strips to see how it would work. Using just scraps from my only 2 quilts I've made, I made my 6 month old granddaughter a quilt for Christmas. It was a learning experience, specially since I didn't have a pattern to follow. I wish I'd made it bigger but I was running out of scraps.

This was my first time using basting spray (LOVE IT) and my walking foot that came in the mail on Saturday! (Woot!) I learned that the basting spray leaves a film on anything that you spray it near. I learned to do a better job at keeping the backing fabric tight and being more careful when spreading the batting over (I got a pucker in the backing fabric that I didn't see.) I will also be more careful about how I position my fabric when using the basting spray.

I also found out that my fabric is SLIPPERY when using a walking foot. I never noticed slippery fabric on my other two quilts, but this little quilt just slipped all over the place when I was trying to quilt it. I had a hard time keep ahold of it to feed it straight to the walking foot. I wish I'd done a different quilting design, but I did learn that I'm not the greatest at doing straight lines and that it's gonna take practice. (which I'm more than willing to try.)

The finished product.

Close up of the squares.

Flipped it over so you can see the back.