View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gilla
I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares. I have finished 15 squares and cut them up into 4 parts as suggested. Each cut square measures 7". I am trying to make a single quilt. When I laid the cut squares out, 10 wide per row, I was only able to make a little more than 4 rows. I still have about 120 5" squares left, but when I measure it out it does not give me enough to make a single quilt.

What am I doing wrong?

Just using 5" squares in a rows 14 x 14, would give me enough to make a single. Either I don't see the forest of the trees, or what is going on, but I am not getting anywhere.
Can someone lead me out of the woods?
Okay - I think I see where I'm confused -

Originally Posted by Gilla
I purchased 6 - 5" x 40 charm packs and started to make 9" squares.
Did you mean "making 9-patch squares/blocks"???? out of the 5 inch squares? - and after sewing them together, the blocks should measure about 14 inches?

After cutting the 9-patch blocks apart - are you rearranging the pieces and resewing four quarters back together? After you do, you should end up with blocks approximately 13.5 x 13.5 square.

Check the instructions for the Disappearing 9-patch - I think that might help solve the mystery.