Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
The bobbin winder on my 15-91 is very close to the body once you push the bobbin winder in place. The only spool that wasn't too long was an very old spool of Belding Corticelli silk buttonhole and button thread. The spool is 5/8" tall x 1'wide and holds 10 yards. It's a really tight fit without any hook & loop tape.

They still make wood spools. I've seen them in the wood findings section of craft stores and websites. Pet stores also have bird toys with colored spools.
Darn! I was hoping that some of the black machines could do it. I'll try to come up wit a list of the machines that I have here that can squeeze a spool into the bobbin area. I guess that makes a case for a SideWinder for some people. I was hoping to avoid that.

The lovely lady at our favorite antique shop yesterday goes, "of course! I used to rewind the spools all the time on my Bernina..." I looked at her and thought: "You need to be posting on the Interwebs!!"

I was at Michaels yesterday too, and it didn't occur to me to look there.

Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
you bet they the wood spools are hard to find and a fair price ebay has some but there shipping is not fair, where would you find them . and what to look for hope to get real wood and not plastic when dealing on internet.
It's even worse once you start to shop out of country too. There are a lot of times the product is worth the price, but they want 2 -3 times the price of the item for shipping. Ebay's been really bad for that lately, but Amazon is too.
The Antiques lady yesterday said go to the antiques shows. They're "cheap" there. The problem is, the next one is in a town 100 miles away, and then there's admission on top. I'd have to bring back a truckload full to make that worth it. ... On second thought. I'm OK with it.