Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM
sew_Tracy

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
Default Quilt of Valor, formerly known as Antique Reproduction quilt

I finished my antique reproduction quilt today. I did decide to go old school with it and tie it. The main reason is that my good friend, a decorated Vietnam vet had reminisced with my husband about how his mother used to tie her quilts. I also decided to use a self binding, blanket style, and stitch it in a whip stitch with the same cotton yarn I used to tie it.

Ever almost instantly regret a sewing design decision? I did. As I pulled each stitch through with a pair of pliers and struggled to thread the needle, I regretted it. But wait. I later discovered that this decision was a gift to me. As I was stitching I was given the opportunity to meditate on many things, each more emotional than the next. I reflected on how much respect I have for our fore mothers who made quilts by hand and by candlelight out of necessity. I wondered with each hot flash spaced about about every half hour, how they might have handled that with a heavy blanket piled on top of them without ever knowing exactly what was wrong.

Next, I started looking at my stitches. Not one of them perfect. I was given the gift of meditating on God and how each one of us is a labor intense pulled stitch. Maybe not perfect, but perfectly placed in the cloth that warms our lives. I was given an extra dose of gratitude for His hand guiding mine in my design decision where I was committed to carry through with action allowing myself to take a time out not not pray, but to listen to Him.

Gave Phil the Quilt of Valor this morning. Pictures to follow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]376194[/ATTACH]

Rainy today so not great light. It's larger than a lap quilt, but a bit smaller than a twin. Perfect size for Phil in his Lazy Boy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376196[/ATTACH]
Back side with the label.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376197[/ATTACH]
Up close label.
Next post, pictures of Phil with his quilt. He was stunned. He had been casually watching me make it all last week.
Attached Thumbnails img_1905_medium.jpg   img_1910_medium.jpg   img_1911_medium.jpg