Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by homecaregiver View Post
great purses made from jeans. Could you share what pattern you used? I would like to make some for my granddaughters. Thanks so much for sharing your very lovely purses and I am sure you will be successful at the craft fair. I just attended one in our town at the 3 schools that are on the same block, high school, middle and grade and I saw some beautiful things and it looked like the sales were very brisk so hopefully you will have great success.
Pat
I don't really use a pattern. I saw a video,clip on line showing how to cut off the legs about 4-6inches below the crotch, then cut the thick seam out of the crotch. Pin the two front legs together until it looks fairly flat, sew from the middle seam down. Do the same for the two back legs. Now you have a skirt. Just seam along the bottom. Use the legs to,cut the straps (I line mine with the matching fabric). I lay the bag on top of my lining fabric and cut around it, adding about 1 1/2" extra at the top. Then I fuse my lining with fusible fleece, make pockets for the inside however you want. Sometimes if the jeans have fancy embroidery down a leg, I use that for an inside pocket. Once the lining is finished, pockets attached etc, sew up the sides and bottom and just put it inside the bag, fleece side to the inside of the bag. It should fit nicely with extra at the top. Fold that extra inside between bag and lining about 1/4" below the waist band. Be sure to add your straps before sewing around the top! Stick the ends in about 1" between bag and lining. I also add a key clip on a strap at this point. Sew around the top. Make a tie with 2x 6 1/2" WOF strips and thread through belt loops and tie! Your done! The biggest problem is sewing around the top since it is so thick. Use a denim or jeans needle and sew slow. I hope this makes sense! The first few I did were a bit flawed, but practice makes perfect. I really enjoy making them! I have sold several and made custom orders for about 6 so far (customers choice of fabric theme). I finished another last night which I will post in a few minutes.

Last edited by Vanuatu Jill; 11-13-2012 at 07:04 AM.