Thread: Why Tri-flow?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
If I use the triflow on a newer machine am I gonna run into problems? I just got a copy of the manual to my original sewing machine and I CAN open it up... I didn't think I could. So I'd like to baby it a bit to see if I can solve the issues it's been giving me. But I imagine it's mostly plastic inside. So I know I can't use it on the motors anything else I should know.
No you won't run into problems on newer machines. I've used it all of our newer plasticized machines and they run as good and sometimes better with the Tri-Flow as with regular sewing machine oil. I just use the oil on the metal to metal parts. If the T-F oil gets on the plastic I haven't seen any damage, but I don't think it helps either.

You can use the Tri-Flow on oilable motors, but I don't, and here's why. The Tri-Flow oil label says it's fortified with P.T.F.E. or Teflon. Sewing machine and small motors usually have bronze bushings for bearings. The bronze bushings are porous and most times have a felt wick surrounding them. I'm not sure how that P.T.F.E would work with the porous bushings. Will it pass through or will it plug the microscopic holes? So that's why I don't use it on motors.

Joe