Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
thepolyparrot

I have the quilt "halo" and the 2-pc set of square frames for manipulating quilts.

I didn't find anything about either of them than I liked better than my crazy purple rubber work gloves with the pointer finger and thumbs cut off.

You have to keep picking up the hoops to reposition them, requiring a repetitive pinching motion with your hands. The hoops don't slide to the place you need them.

The bed of the machine must be absolutely flush with the cabinet top or the hoop will catch on the lip. The working area is quite limited.

In addition to repetitive motion pain from pinching the hoop to pick it up, you must also exert some pretty good downward pressure to move the quilt, along with the directional horizontal movement. Your shoulders and forearms ache after using them.

For me, these were silly purchases but I just HAD to try them. I try everything.

I love the Sew Slip sheet that goes over the sewing machine bed under the needle. It really helps keep the quilt around the needle free of friction.

I love Magic Genie Bobbin Washers - won't bother trying to do FMQ without them. Machingers gloves are good, too.

But, any kind of frame or ring for pushing the quilt around - not for me, ever again. For me, it's far easier to puddle the quilt around the needle, keep about 16-18 square inches around the needle smooth, taut and free to move, and put on some gloves. Nothing to pick up/reposition except the quilt and no stopping mid-swoop because my hoop just ran into the hopping foot.

I'm clumsy enough all by myself. I don't need to put even more mechanical obstacles in my way.