View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
mpeters1200

Originally Posted by LTeachergeorge View Post
One of the quickest and easiest that I do is squares offset so that each color makes a diagonal line down the quilt . You can strip piece and then cut the squares; make your squares any size, can use fat quarters, etc. I,ve used 8-10 colors and made like 5 inch squares (cut at 5 1/2" --- you can get 12 of those from a FQ).
If your description is what I'm thinking, that's a specific pattern. The name is Stairway to Heaven. I strip piece mine at 5 1/2". I sew all the strips together until it's wide enough for the whole bed. Then I stitch strip one to the last strip to make a large loop like you would for a bargello. I then cross cut at 5 1/2" and pick out the stitches in strategic places to create the offset diagonal. It took me 3 hours to piece a baby size one at 45 x 60ish from first cut to last stitch. An added bonus for me was that each color only used 16.5 inches of fabric for the whole top...course that was baby sized, but you can get a lot done with less fabric. Very forgiving pattern.

The dots are really flowers in primary and secondary colors. My sons' 2nd grade teacher doesn't do pink or blue, just bright primary colors. Here is a small corner to highlight the colors:

Here is the entire top.