View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 AM
ArchaicArcane

Default Substitution Parts

I'd love to compile a list of substitution parts for the machines we rehab, and parts that don't work, to save people duplicating the same effort for nothing.

There are parts that are easy to find (brushes for the 201-2 and the FW for instance) and there are parts that are not so easy to find. So we find others that work, make some of them, etc...

I'll start:
Today, my parts arrived, with 4 experimental parts.

So, the 201-3 is notoriously hard to find parts for. Not the hook, and the spool pin plate parts... the things like the motor wicks, brushes, etc.

Singer says that the Wicks are part # (I think the part number is 194490 - they're the really skinny ones that fit into the "tubes" so will fit other motors too. The parts diagram doesn't have the wicks it, but they're much smaller than the ones that fit the FW, 15-91 and 201-2 motors. I'm quite sure I have other motors here too that have the thin tubes to fill. These would be the wicks inside them. The 201-3 I have here is a BAJ motor

The Brushes are part #196862 and I found no listing at all for them

Today I used HF30135 for the wicks. They were long enough, I could cut one in half and do both tubes, and skinny enough. My cost was $0.14 These are called Hook Wicks, for top mount bobbins. Singer part.
For the brushes, I used 190782, which is for another motor, but the brushes fit just fine into the 201-3 motor. My cost was $2.10 each. Singer Part.

In other news, I was looking for a frame spring for the bobbin winder on the 115 (shares with the 66 and some 99s, either way, it's a discontinued number),.. the one from the 201 / 15 is -not- compatible. The springs wind in opposite directions.

The 411G that has the floppy spool pins? I was told to use featherweight feet 45780 in there to take up the slack from the missing corral looking "washers". It will require a drill and some convincing, but I will report back when I have a chance to do this tomorrow when my hands are steadier.