Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
moosie

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
........snip......how do I figure how much fabric I need for the whole quilt? It looks like the Supply list on page 2 is only for 1 block...???
This is precisely why I purchased Electric Quilt. Best of all I can simply save it in my files for future use and if I want to enlarge it there's no more calculation to do.

Originally Posted by maine ladybug View Post
I took the number of strips you would need for each part of the block and multiplied it by the number of blocks. ......snip....
What an excellent post. I ALWAYS appreciate these very clear explanations that are so helpful to folks who might have a math phobia. I think it's extremely important we know the steps required to figure out by ourselves how much fabric and these are the topics you don't see explained in detail in most of the quilting books, thank you.

Another help for figuring fabric amounts on the fly is the Quilter's FabriCalc that does just these sort of calculations too. As you can see when you are in a fabric store and you spy this absolutely MUST HAVE fabric (LOL aren't they all), I can whip out my traveling quilting calc and easily estimate. However nothing substitutes for knowing how to do it from scratch.