View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM
JenelTX

Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
Did you do the FMQ'ing on regular machine or long arm? If regular...how'd you do that beautiful design in the middle with the quilt being so large and bulky?! Any tips? I just can't figure how to do those specific designs on such a bulk of fabric and move it all around so easily to make these designs. I do meandering okay, but I want to learn designs....
I did it on a regular machine, not a longarm. However, the Brother PQ1500S (my machine) has a bit more throat space than my other basic sewing machine. The center part was certainly the most difficult because you're dealing with a lot of bulk on every side. The bulk in the throat space was less of a problem for me than the bulk behind, to the left, and in front of the machine, because all of those sides were weighed down, hampering movement. I had the sewing machine on my dining room table, so I had space to the left and behind the machine. I draped the front part of the quilt over my left shoulder to take up the weight a little bit. It got awkward but was doable. The feed dogs on this machine drop all the way down, and that was helpful.

I bought some bicycle clamps, I think they're called, and those were not helpful at all. They were too big, so the quilt just kept slipping out of them. I'm thinking of getting some really large office clamps. I need something with a bit of grip to really control all that excess.