View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
JudyTheSewer

I bought a Willcox & Gibbs treadle machine a few weeks ago. A repair is needed. The machine gets attached to a board, and the board gets attached to the cabinet. The problem is that the board cannot be attached to the cabinet because the screw holes are not solid. Here are some pictures to show the board and what the hinges look like on the cabinet that this board should attach to with wood screws:

Top of board (dark marks are an outline of the machine base)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376740[/ATTACH]

bottom of board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376741[/ATTACH]
hinges on the cabinet (these allow the board to drop down into the cabinet for storing the machine away under the cabinet top)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376742[/ATTACH]

The problem is the the veneer has pulled away and the screws holes are at that exact point. Here is a picture of one of the sides of the board that I fixed by gluing and clamping. I am thinking that will be solid enough to be used now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376743[/ATTACH]
And, here is the side that I still need to repair. This side has missing veneer:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376744[/ATTACH]
Below, I've tried to explain the idea I have for fixing this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]376745[/ATTACH]
I am wondering the best way to make this repair? I have no experience in woodworking or wood finishing but I've been around it my whole life.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails 1-topofboard.jpg   2-bottomofboard.jpg   3-hingeinmaincabinetthattheboardgetsattachedto.jpg   4-howifixedsideone.jpg   5-showsthedamagethatneedsrepaired.jpg  

6-explanationofsolutioniamthinkingof.jpg